Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lenten Reflection

Today is Good Friday, a.k.a the most boring day of the year, for a non-practicing person like me. The Lenten season has no meaning for me, aside from the idea of it being two days of rest (yay!) But then since I'm unemployed (officially, I now am. My 30 day resignation notice expires today.) Maundy Thursday and Good Friday has considerably less meaning.

We were Catholic growing up, but even though we were Catholic, we were never the type to participate in Catholic traditions. My parents chose to honor the Holy Week at home, doing nothing. Now that we're no longer Catholic, well, the Holy Week and Lent have less of a significance.

Don't get me wrong - I believe in God and Jesus and everything else. Its just that personally, I prefer celebrating my faith in Him in my own way. I never really got the point of all the sacraments, rituals and symbols. I believe that everyone has their own unique way of professing faith, and ultimately, we are judged by what is in our hearts. People will disagree with me, but hey, to each his own. :)

Today my sister and I went to High Street to hangout (You'd be surprised at how many shops and restaurants are open!) and unexpectedly, we ended up doing the Stations of the Cross there. Papa and I did it last year, and it still had the same effect on me.


It was a very refreshing experience. We've all known the story of the Crucifixion since we were 6, thanks to the 13 years of Christian Living classes and 4 years of Theology in college, but have we ever stopped to think about how it connects to us, the people living now in 2011? In one fleeting moment, probably, yes. But most likely, its something we don't really think about. Heck, I'd rather think of my own (lack of) lovelife.

And so now, I'm in a reflecting mood, thus this blog entry. I hate to sound all preachy, but you know what, I have so many things to thank God for. Number one is a big thank you to God for allowing Jesus to die for humanity. Many people take their lives for granted, have little appreciation for themselves and are insecure. We forget to think of the fact that someone died for us to live. Someone loved me enough to endure all that pain and suffering. That in itself is a thought that should get us through all the 360+ days in a year. Jesus had trust in us that we could be better people, and maybe its time to prove him right.

I have so much more to thank God for, and if you know me well enough, you probably know what I'm pointing at. I think He deserves more from me, and this is my wake up call. :)

And oh, thank you to those that made the Stations of the Cross in High Street. I think its called Walkway: Reflections on the Stations of the Cross (yes, I did research!) Great initiative! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment